He was a member of the Science Academy in the Bologna Institute from 1761.
He became Professor of Anatomy at the Science Institute and curator of the Anatomy Room and as such had to give public lectures for surgeons, artists and sculptors. He became University Lecturer in Medicine in 1768 and replaced this lectureship by one in Practical Anatomy in 1775. He was chosen as Professor of Obstetrics at the Institute and curator of the Obstetrics Room, in 1782. He held public lectures in the Anatomy Theatre and at his own home, where he had a vast library (about 400 volumes, including works by Hippocrates, Galeno, Avicenna, and the most important medical books of the eighteenth century) and set up a laboratory where he conducted experiments.